Thursday 29 March 2012

Evaluation - Question 3

What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?

The kind of media institution that I think would be an ideal distributer for my magazine is EMAP. This is the company that produced the 'Smash Hits' magazine from 1978 to 2006. The 'Smash Hits' magazine was actually a magazine that inspired me to create the layouts of my magazine therefore I can conclude that it is going to be very similar to my production. I think that the corporation would be a good producer for the magazine as well because they haven't got a music magazine being produced by themselves at this current date, but they obviously have experience in this market at creating an original magazine that attracts an audience. The fact that they don't have a music magazine being produced currently could also mean that they could make this magazine a priority, therefore meaning that it would probably have more effort put into it.

I could use several ways to distribute my magazine to the public, this could include posting issues to readers if they subscribe, the magazine could be sold in retailers (newsagents, supermarkets etc.) as well as certain articles being posted online (while the whole magazine can be downloaded for a price off of the internet) with advertisments making a profit instead of the income from the magazine. The use of internet could be a key area to publish my magazine as the target market for my magazine uses the internet throughout their daily lives.

I would use a method of paid circulation to sell the magazine instead of the free and controlled circulation. I think that the paid circulation would be appropriate because most music magazines will have paid circulation instead of the other two, this is so that the magazine will fit in with other music magazines and it will appeal to the target audience because the magazine will be available to a select group because of the set price instead of the free price that it would be if I chose free circulation. Controlled circulation wouldn't be ideal as it would be unapealling because of the 'qualification' issues with it, the younger generation wouldn't like this idea.

The magazine that I created would be published with a fixed price by EMAP weekly, however readers subscribing to the magazine would get a set discount off of the original price.

No comments:

Post a Comment