Thursday 29 March 2012

Evaluation- Question 5

How did you attract or address your audience?


My target audience consisted of the older teenager to the young adult, this is obviously an age where education is valued because education is no longer compulsory. Therefore I have tried to make the magazine look both basic and simple, but also a good enough quality to make it look good enough for the audience to read it. I am also trying to attract more men into this magazine; I addressed this by using a young male on the magazine cover but I just used his head without his body. This made it look like a piece of art and just took the basics of human life, which a man likes more than a woman. The colours used around my magazine are stereotypically recognised as quite feminine colours, however these colours are used to attract the audience because of the era that the magazine is celebrating. The 1980's was full of colours so that is what I have tried to recreate here. The magazine cover is extremely plain and just features the feature artist along with the title of the article etc. This again explores the idea that this magazine is like a piece of artwork (just like the Grace Jones album cover for 'Portfolio' on which this is based), this creates a non-conventional magazine cover that will appeal to my audience because of how they generally like to be different. I have used artists based all around the world as well, this therefore makes the reader think that this magazine is of high class; not small time like some magazines are. The word 'color' on the magazine cover is also aimed at targeting the audience as this is all based upon an iconic 1980's TV sign; this is also why the word is spelt in American fashion instead of British, this should appeal to the target audience because it is using iconic things to remind us of the actual 1980's while also looking modern and unique.

The contents page again explores many conventions, especially with my target audience being male. The pink is making it bright and vibrant like many of the 80's pop were, the white background that the headings are on are actually based around the idea of paintbrush strokes. This would appeal to the audience because it is again exploring the use of art throughout the magazine. I think that the pictures used on this contents page would be successful in making the magazine appealing because they are incorporating modern fashions with 1980's fashion. The pictures are also showing young, upcoming artists which will also appeal to the reader while also sticking to the era that the magazine is based around. I think that the idea of placing subheadings on this page also helps appeal to the reader because it is organised and makes it simpler to navigate throughout the magazine.





The language that I have used throughout the double page spread is appealing to the reader because it is formal; using proper English throughout, however it is used in an informal manner. Therefore making the reader feel more involved in the interview itself. I also think that the photo used on the double page spread is extremely effective in appealing to the target audience. This is because it is both bright and incorporates art throughout. It has combined modern art and fashions with the 1980's style, this should appeal to the audience because of it fitting in with a set convention but also being alternative. The use of the same font for all of the headings for this article again exposes the importance of the whole article, not just part of it. It is bold along with being colourful, using vintage colour schemes. The whole idea of the stars and space tries to expose the fact that the feature artist is bigger than human, as in being 'out of this world', again incorporating the personality of many 1980's superstars.

Overall, I think that I have done many things to make my magazine attract my target audience. I think I have succeeded in this because I have used the right type of colour scheme while also using a conventional layout for a modern magazine. Therefore making the experience for the reader enjoyable, although many of of my friends have admitted that they aren't attracted to this type of music they have told me that if they were then they would consider buying the magazine. This proves to me that I have succeeded in making this magazine look good enough to be classed as a good quality magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment